It makes total sense to me: start at midnight and run the San Francisco Marathon course backwards (from finish to start), then jump in line with everyone else and run the official marathon at 6am. 26.2 miles twice for a 52.4 mile adventure. And you do it for charity.
July 23, 2017
It’s official. I’ll be taking on the 52.4 mile challenge for the second time. The first time I did it in 2014 was such an amazing experience. Ok, I’m probably blocking out all the bad thoughts and memories that tend to happen during any ultra, or marathon for that fact. But the one thing I absolutely remember is being at the start line at 6am before the start of the marathon. It was such a rush to be starting the second leg of a journey: at this point, the sun is coming up, you have on fresh clothes (I changed) and you are fired up to a level that no one else is at. It’s like you have a secret that you’ve already run a marathon the same day everyone else is getting ready to start theirs.
Selecting a Charity
As I did last time, I will be fundraising for the SF SPCA (SF Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). There are many worthy charities and choosing a single cause is never easy.
Our dog Mika is a member of our family. She has been a big sister to the First Lady, and we can already see that The Professor is already watching to see what Mika does (and trying to eat her ear). Cruelty to animals is truly a terrible thing and I’m happy to help out those often left without a voice to defend them.
Giveaway for Charity
In 2014, we raised $1,115, and this year the goal is $1000 again. Thanks to some partnerships with amazing brands willing to donate, (and some items that I am purchasing), we will be hosting a giveaway.
For every $5 you donate, you’ll receive an entry for a chance to win one of the above prizes (based on availability). The minimum donation is set to $10 (not by me).
Donate $10, that’s 2 entries.
Donate $15, that’s 3 entries.
Donate $20, that’s 4 entries.
The giveaway will be ongoing and I’m planning on giving away items throughout the time leading up to race day, so the earlier you donate, the more opportunities you’ll have at claiming one of these amazing gifts. You can win multiple items, so don’t worry about winning something early and being “out.”
(1) Garmin vívoactive® HR
GPS Smartwatch with Wrist-based Heart Rate
- GPS smartwatch with a sunlight-readable, high-resolution color touchscreen
- Built-in sports apps include GPS-enabled running, biking, swimming and more — no phone connection required
(1) Garmin vívosmart® HR
Smart Activity Tracker with Wrist-based Heart Rate plus GPS
- GPS tracks distance and pace while mapping out your run or walk
- Measures steps, distance, calories, floors climbed, activity intensity and heart rate on your wrist
(5) PRO Compression Prize Packs (2-pairs per pack, random colors)
Winners (3 of 5): (1) Gregg Bard, (2) Drew, (3) Charla McPherson
- True graduated compression, which increases blood flow and allows you to perform at your peak, recover faster and feel better sooner.
- Advanced design supports critical muscles and tendons, and our proprietary blend of materials wicks moisture for a comfortable fit that goes the distance.
(1) Pair of Shoes from Road Runner Sports 24.7 Collection (men’s & women’s)
- For 32 years, Road Runner Sports has always made a commitment to you and making all your fitness dreams come to life.
- The 24.7 Collection features a number of exciting lifestyle shoes: including Adidas, Brooks, Nike, and more.
- A pair of shoes will be chosen by Road Runner Sports based on stock.
- Featuring HydroFreeze X Technology, a cooling management system that reduces the fabric temperature during activity. Uniquely designed to absorb moisture when dry and cool when wet, the shirt’s fabric dramatically chills your body as you move.
- Ultralight construction is anti-microbial and easy-to-clean.
(2) Pjur Active 2Skin Bundles (pronounced “Pure Active Two-Skin”)
Winner (1 of 2): Ashley Sura
- Apply pjur active 2skin to protect delicate areas (toes, heels, thighs, arms, nipples, etc.) before your competition or training. It can help protect your skin and prevent chafing and blisters, even before they begin.
- As soon as pjur active 2skin is applied to your skin it forms an invisible protective layer, which strengthens the skin’s cell structure and distributes pressure over a larger area.
(2) Entries to Across the Bay 12k (or 415 5k), Virtual option available.
Winner (1 of 2): Andrea Barber
- The 12k features San Francisco’s most scenic course–a point to point journey starting in Sausalito, running across the Golden Gate Bridge, and finishing in Aquatic Park.
- Remote option is available if you can’t make it on race day, July 9th. There is a 12k and a 5k option. The medal and shirt will be mailed to you to complete the distance when you can.
- Can’t Wait? 10% off registration with code RepresentPR
- 5 winners will receive a prize pack for the running crew that is crushing it (and miles) on social media
- Top, trucker hat, momentum jewelry wrap, sling backpack
Winners (3 of 5): Judy Sheldon, Nancy Olivas, Brittany Vola
* * * * * * * *
How to enter:
- Make a donation here
- Enter the rafflecopter below
- Select the correct amount below. If you donated something in between the amounts listed, work your math skills. If you donated $30 (that’s a $20 donation and a $10 donation, click both. If you donated $40 (that’s a $25 and a $15).
- All donations will be confirmed. If you donated an amount over $50, email me and I’ll manually add in your entries.
- Winners will be announced on the blog and notified via email and/or social media.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Thank you. If you cannot donate, please help us spread the love across the inter webs with a share on social media.
Thank you in advance.