This has been in the works behind the scenes for months. Think covert-operation text messages and private facebook chats. Well, I mean, that’s true, but it really hasn’t been a HUGE secret, just more along the lines of we were not really sure what we wanted it to be… other than EPIC.
As many of you know, some members of the #WeRunSocial crew have been known to combine the Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas weekend with another race. Basically, since the RnRLV half and full starts in the evening (4:30pm), that gives us plenty of time to run another race that same morning.
It started a couple of years back when some runners combined RnR San Antonio and RnR Las Vegas (#SA2LV). Then last year, some of us did Disneyland Avengers and RnR Las Veags (Disney2LV) and this year we are doing it again, but in San Diego at the Silver Strand Half Marathon.
Here is how it works.
- Run a race early Sunday morning (ideally, do it around 2-ish hours).
- Make your way to the airport. Catch a flight to Las Vegas.
- Run the Las Vegas half (or full) marathon (take as much time as you’d like, within RnR guidelines of course)
That’s basically it. Some friendly things you need to remember:
- Eat (it’s something first-timers forget to do as you are so caught up in making flights, hotels, etc.)
- Allow enough time AFTER the first race to make it to the airport. Will you need to shower? Will you need to go back to a hotel? Which airport? Think about security lines
- Arrange a way to get your Las Vegas bib beforehand. You won’t be at the RnRLV expo since you’ll be in San Diego (although some have flown to Vegas on Friday).
LAS VEGAS AFTER PARTY
This is the important part. #WeRunSocial is hosting a HUGE afterparty following RnR Las Vegas. Since the race happens at night, you might be tired, you might be, ummm, hydrating, we are going to have it go down on MONDAY 11/16 around 11:30am.
You don’t need to do San Diego to show up. This is OPEN to everyone.
Here is the rough timeline (not FINAL)
Monday, November 16
Meet in front of the Bellagio fountain for an epic photo with the water in the background. You won’t want to MISS this Instagram gold. The fountains go off every 30 mins, so photo will be at NOON, and we will not wait.
UPDATE: Follow up location may change as Spanish Steps doesn’t have a bartender on Mondays.
Make our way over to Caesars Palace (Spanish Steps, perhaps Serendipity3) for drinks, fun, and socializing (it’s what we do). It’s across the street from the Bellagio, outside, has shade, plenty of seating (and an outdoor bar, of course).
There is a limited supply of #WeRunSocial LAS VEGAS gear. Click here to check it out.
Please feel free to share the link with friends/family, everyone is invited, children too (the first Shirley Temple is on me for kids under 10).
Are you ready to Strip At Night?